Article I – Name
- The name of the organization shall be Association of Librarians and Archivists at Baptist Institutions (ALABI), a not-for-profit professional organization.
Article II- Purpose and Objectives
- The purpose of the Association shall be to provide a framework wherein its members may share interests and pursue common goals.
- The Association shall seek to fulfill its purpose through pursuit of the following objectives:
- To foster opportunities for fellowship and networking among members and to provide a forum in which mutual issues, concerns, and problems may be addressed.
- To encourage/support collaborative efforts among individuals, libraries, archives, and institutions with a common commitment to Baptist life and history and to serving the information needs of their constituents.
- To assist members in identifying, preserving and providing access to Baptist materials, including the provision of workshops and training opportunities.
- To bring positive attention to collections of Baptist material.
Article III – Membership
- The members of the Association shall include, upon payment of annual dues, employees of Baptist-related libraries, archives, and informational centers and other individuals having an interest in the purpose and objectives of the organization.
- Charter members shall be all those enrolled by June 1, 2006.
- Members may form interest groups as approved by the Association
Article IV – Finances
- The Executive Secretary/Treasurer shall be the financial agent of the Association.
- An annual budget shall be prepared by the Administrative committee and presented to the Association for approval.
- An annual audit of the financial accounts of the Association shall be completed by the Audit Committee and presented to the Association.
Article V – Bylaws
- The Association shall enact bylaws to further guide the conduct of its affairs in full accord with the provisions of this constitution.
Article VI – Amendments
- The Constitution may be amended by a two-thirds majority vote of members present at an annual business session of the Association, provided the proposed amendment has been distributed to the membership at least thirty days in advance of that meeting.
- The Bylaws may be amended by a two-thirds majority vote of members present at an annual business session of the Association
Article I – Meetings
- The Association shall determine the frequency and nature of meetings to conduct business and professional activities in pursuit of its objectives.
- An annual meeting is to be held to allow the Association to discuss and decide the business of the Association.
- Meetings of the Association may be called, provided at least thirty days’ notice is given
to all members.
Article II – Officers
- Duly elected officers shall consist of the: (1) President, (2) VicePresident/President Elect, (3) Executive Secretary/Treasurer, and (4) Recording Secretary.
- The election of officers shall take place at the annual meeting of the organization. Term of office for each of the elected officers shall be two (2) years, except for the Executive Secretary/Treasurer which is an ongoing office.
- All duly elected officers must have been a member of the organization for at least two (2) years.
- Offices vacated between elections shall be filled by presidential appointment for the remaining term.
Article III – Duties of Officers
- Duties of the President shall be to serve as moderator of the organization’s meeting, and appoint committees as needed, and appoint individuals to serve in the event an officer vacates his or her position.
- Duties of the VicePresident/President Elect shall be to arrange the program for all meetings and stand ready to serve if the President is unable to complete his or her term of office.
- Duties of the Executive Secretary/Treasurer shall be to hold the permanent records of the
organization, maintain financial and membership records, maintain accounts receivable and payable (membership dues, vendor bills, meeting expenses, etc.), and provide a report to the Administrative Committee and the membership.
- Duties of the Recording Secretary shall be to record all minutes of meetings held.
Article IV – Committees
- Administrative Committee – The duly elected officers of the Association serve as the Administrative Committee and meet prior to the annual meeting for reports, discussion and creation of an annual budget.
- Audit Committee – The Audit Committee consists of two (2) Association members that are appointed by the President. The Audit Committee meets prior to the annual meeting to review the financial books of the Association as provided by the Executive Secretary/Treasurer.
- Program Committee – The VicePresident/PresidentElect, serving as the chairperson, and two Association members plan the program for all Association meetings. It is preferred that one of the Program Committee members is able to serve as the responsible party for local arrangements.
- Communications Committee – The Association’s Webmaster, serving as the chairperson, and two Association members work to develop a communications plan for the Association. The Association’s officers are consulted on new plans and then plans are approved by the Association’s membership.
- Nominating Committee – The Nominating Committee consists of the outgoing President and two at large Association members appointed by the outgoing President.
- Ad hoc Committees – The President of the Association may appoint an Ad hoc committee with the approval of the Association or the Administrative Committee.
Article V – Membership Dues
- Membership dues shall be determined by the Association, with annual review by Administrative Committee.
- A. Individual Membership – employees of Baptist related libraries, archives, and informational centers and other individuals having an interest in the purpose and objectives of the organization.
Article VI – Dissolution
- The Association may be dissolved by a twothirds majority vote of its members who are in good standing. In the event of dissolution, the property of the Association shall be distributed according to the will of Association’s membership.
*Adopted June 4, 2009
The original ALABI Bylaws are archived on the meeting page.